Friday, May 13, 2011

FarmLab



 
     So I chose to go to Farmlab because my artist Lauren Bon happens to be the founder. When I first got there I wasn't sure if I was in the right place because it wasn't what I expected and there were no huge signs. But after I asked people they told me which door to go into! As soon as I got in I started taking photos and and walking around the place. Then a lady came and told me I needed permission to take photos and walk around because it was a private gallery or something like that. Luckily I had taken photos of most of the place. After that she also told me a little bit about the project she said it was a urban area that they were turning into a green place. They were creating a green place that could work with the urban area. She also said they have free workshop every few weeks where they make things like basket out of the plants they grow around there. I also learned a little of the process they use for their garden.

So the first step is to collect rain water they have about 10 of this bins that collect water. Most of them are around the building but there are a few scattered ones.
Then they filter the water, with the bamboo looking planter on the left of the picture and with this thing in the center they somehow clean the water.
At the end they store it in these tubes, which they later use to water the plants they grow and the plants in the state park right behind their building!


Pictures of all the plants they have so far!








These Nopales are Beautiful!


Overall I think the purpose is to think of the environment and realize how much of it we have killed to build our communities. Its now time to think of ways to help it grow and embrace it as a priority in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment